Friday, April 8, 2022

For the Bowery Boys fans

TCM is doing a programming tribute to Paris in the Spring this weekend. That means that the Saturday matinee block is going to be skipped. Interestingly enough, next weekend is Easter weekend, and the matinee block is there, although I think TCM generally only programs religious movies and Easter Parade on Easter Sunday itself. The following weekend (April 21-24) is the return of the live TCM Film Festival, after two years off because of the coronapanic. And yet the TCM monthly schedule still has the Saturday matinee, with the Bowery Boys just after 10:00.

To be honest, however, I'm posting this more because I need a reminder to myself to record some movies. Some of the movies on the schedule I've blogged about, such as Can-Can (5:30 PM Saturday), and Zazie dans le métro (2:30 AM Sunday). But a search of the blog claims that I haven't mentioned this week's Noir Alley selection, Bob le flambeur (12:30 AM and 10:00 AM Sunday) before, this even though I'm pretty certain I've seen it. Maybe I'm mixing it up with another French heist movie, Rififi (not on the schedule).

There's also the Don Ameche/Claudette Colbert pairing Midnight, which is not scheduled at midnight, but 1:45 PM Sunday. Roberta (6:15 AM Sunday) is another one that I mentioned once on the blog, only to point out that the stage version of it introduced the song "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes". I also pointed out that Roberta was remade in the 1950s as Lovely to Look At; that too is on the schedule this weekend at 11:15 AM Saturday.

Silent Sunday Nights and TCM Imports will conclude the weekend, both with Paris-set movies.

No comments: