Thursday, January 26, 2023

Briefs for January 26-27, 2023

I actually have a feature and a short recently watched that I could do posts on, but I've been just busy enough with work and getting ready for moving house that I decided I wanted to do something a bit easier today. On top of that, one of the podcasts I listen to had an interesting piece that's relevant in a movie blog.

Radio Australia's Breakfast program included a segment with the headline, Why are we all using subtitles?. Well, I'm not for the most part, but then, that's actually part of what the report is about. Apparently, a lot of people watching modern movies and TV shows on Netflix are using the subtitles, even people who aren't hard of hearing. In an interview with audio dialogue editor Austin Olivia Kendrick, we learn what makes the sound quality of speech in today's movies different from movies of the past, including a brief clip from His Girl Friday, which is apocryphally considered to have the fastest dialogue in a movie. As I was listening, I couldn't help but think of the scene from Day for Night where Valentina Cortese says that Fellini had actors do their dialogue in post and that during the actual filming, they could just speak numbers. I'm not surprised that didn't get mentioned. There are actually some interesting reasons for the sound issues in modern movies.

I didn't pay attention to the Oscar nominations that came out the other day, although KBS Radio Korea seemed rather miffed that Decision to Leave didn't get nominated in the foreign-language feature category, or whatever it's being called now. I haven't seen any 2022 releases, so I can't comment on any of the films that got nominated in that category and whether Decision to Leave is better than any of the actual nominees. Of course, the real problem with that category is that each country gets to nominate one movie and then the Academy picks from those nominations to whittle the list down to five.

One film that did get a bunch of nominations was The Banshees of Inisherin. RTE went to the island where the movie was filmed, and interviewed the head of tourism for the island about two weeks back. A four-minute piece that's worth a listen.

A couple of movies back in the FXM rotation that I didn't mention in any of my recent posts mentioning changes to the rotation are on again tomorrow. First is Lady in Cement at 9:40 AM. It's a sequel to the Frank Sinatra movie Tony Rome, although instead of having Tony Rome on the schedule, FXM has a different Frank Sinatra detective movie, The Detective, at 7:45 AM. Of course, The Detective is absolutely worth a watch. Rounding out tomorrow's FXM Retro block is the Kirk Douglas movie The Fury, at 1:00 PM.

TCM is spending tomorrow morning and afternoon with the films of Ralph Richardson, even though it's not his birthday. The lineup is mostly British films, and earlier ones at that, so not quite so well known even if a lot of it was very fine stuff. I forgot that The Citadel at 10:45 AM also has a very young Rex Harrison in it.

No comments: