Monday, January 16, 2023

Gina Lollobrigida, 1927-2023

Gina Lollobrigida with Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis in a promotional photo for Trapeze

Gina Lollobrigida, who came on the scene a few years before Sophia Loren and Brigitte Bardot to become one of the first big European bombshells of the postwar era, has died at the age of 95. The obituary I read suggested she enjoyed working in her native Italy more than in Hollywood, but I was surprised at how many of her movies I've done posts on.

I couldn't find anything on the TCM website about her passing, but with the recent budget cuts I wonder how much updating is going on. I would assume at some point that TCM will have a prime-time programming salute to Lollobrigida, but I haven't seen anything about when it might be. 31 Days of Oscar isn't until March this year, so TCM has a good six weeks to program something.

1 comment:

Tom said...

I knew of her, but never saw a single film in which she appeared.