Thursday, June 15, 2023

Briefs for June 15-16, 2023

I mentioned each of the past two weeks that tonight (June 15) is the night that TCM is going to air Katharine Hepburn's four Oscar-winning performances, although they won't be in chronological order, as Morning Glory is relegated to the overnight slot. The highlight of the four for me is The Lion in Winter at 10:00 PM.

There have been any number of passings that I failed to mention over the past few weeks, starting with Jim Brown, who retired from football in order to go into the movies. Most recently was actor Treat Williams, who died in a motorcycle crash at the age of 71. I very much enjoy The Ritz, made very early in Williams' career.

A different sort of passing is that of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which for many years organized the Golden Globe awards. The awards ceremony has been sold off to Dick Clark Productions, which means the awards are likely to become an even bigger joke than they were before, in the sense that there's no real organization doing the voting to determine the winners, much the way DCP's American Music Awards weren't a truly competitive awards show. All the news stories mention the kerfuffle from a couple years back over the supposed lack of diversity among the voters, although I have to admit I didn't pay attention to why it suddenly became an issue when it did, or how non-diverse they were. Supposedly, they were originally foreign reporters in Hollywood, but how many of them were really reporters, or foreign? I can't help but think somebody had an axe to grind to make it an issue when it became one, not that I ever cared about the awards.

Now that I've got good high-speed internet and have been streaming a lot of movies, I've actually got a backlog of stuff to do blog posts on. I've also got a long weekend from work this weekend and another for July 4, so I should finally get to writing some extra posts over the long weekend to have saved as drafts for the future.

No comments: