Thursday, July 11, 2024

Briefs for July 11-12, 2024

I hadn't intended to write up a briefs post today, but then I saw the news that Shelley Duvall died at the age of 75. Duvall is best known for her performance in The Shining, one of those movies that I have to admit I have never actually seen before. Duvall's career didn't really go anywhere after that, in part because she wound up in some disastrous films like Popeye, and in part because of personal health issues. I don't know that any of her movies are coming up on TCM soon.

As for movies that are coming up, I've got more this week that are on my DVR and that I haven't blogged about until now. One of them is The Swan, which actually has a pair of airings on TCM in fairly close proximity this week, one earlier and one at 6:00 PM tomorrow. I had other stuff to blog about so I didn't do a full-length post on it, but then, it's airing in August since Grace Kelly is being honored in Summer Under the Stars. (I've also got The Country Girl sitting on my DVR from when TCM ran it during 31 Days of Oscar, so I guess you're getting two Grace Kelly posts in quick succession.)

Before The Swan, however, there's The King and the Chorus Girl, which I mentioned several months back; that one shows up July 12 at 12:15 PM. And then, at 2:00 PM Saturday (July 13) is The Password is Courage, which I recorde when Dirk Bogarde was Star of the Month last September. So it's currently expired on my YouTube TV cloud DVR, but because their system remembers what movies you recorded in the past, it catches new airings of stuff.

No comments: