Monday, October 5, 2026

TCM Star of the Month October 2026: Myrna Loy

Myrna Loy (l.) with Clark Gable, Jean Harlow, and Spencer Tracy in Libeled Lady (October 5, 8:00 PM)

We're into the first full week of a new month, which means that it's time for a new Star of the Month. This time out, that star is Myrna Loy, who was also Star of the Month back in December 2016 meaning that I've already got a couple of photos that I used back then and I can use again. One thing that's different about this month's programming is that Myrna Loy made enough movies that her films start in the daytime on Monday rather than other times where TCM would schedule the movies to start in prime time and continue into the following day if there were that many movies.

The movies are scheduled somewhat in chronological order and somewhat thematically. The daytime scheduling is chronological, and I'm sorry to say that by the time you read this you'll probably have missed Loy's silent movies. I'm hoping they show up on Watch TCM. The daytime programming is almost entirely 1930s films; I didn't realize just how many 1930s films Loy made.

William Powell, Myrna Loy, and Asta in a publicity still from one of the Thin Man movies

The first two Mondays in prime time feature Loy with William Powell. October 12 is a marathon of all six Thin Man movies, which is going to give me the chance to do a blog post on one of the Thin Man movies that aired back on New Year's. Those movies are technically expired from my DVR now, but I watched one before they expired and already wrote up and scheduled a post on it.

Myrna Loy, Melvyn Douglas, and Cary Grant in Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (October 20, 12:45 AM)

The final two Mondays jump ahead, with Myrna Loy mostly in the second half of the 1940s on October 19, and in the 1950s and beyond on October 26. October 26 also brings a rare TCM showing for From the Terrace and one for Airport '75.

No comments: