Friday, August 20, 2010

Fritz Lang's best?

I was somewhat surprised last night by Robert Osborne's opening comments to Man Hunt, saying something to the effect that Man Hunt was definitely Lang's best work in America. Now, I happen to like Man Hunt, but there are several movies that Lang directed in the US that are equally as good.

Right at the top of that list would be his first American movie, Fury. I've also recommended The Big Heat and Hangmen Also Die. In addition to these, Lang made about another 20 movies in America over a 20-year period.

The ones I've mentioned, and a couple of others (Ministry of Fear springs to mind) are all quite good, although they also do have their flaws. I don't think it's particularly obvious which of Lang's American movies is his best.

What's your favorite of Fritz Lang's Hollywood movies?

No comments: