Thursday, February 17, 2011

Another set of repeats

I am pleased to see that Chariots of Fire is finally showing up on TCM, tonight at 10:00 PM ET. For all the complaining about TCM showing "recent" movies, first, Chariots of Fire is almost 30 years old, and secondly, it doesn't seem to get aired very often on TV. I don't think it's been on TCM for at least the last five years, if it's ever been on TCM. I think I might have seen it show up some time back on one of the commercial channels like Bravo, but on those channels, the movies are invariably panned-and-scanned and cut up for commercials. Chariots of Fire is a movie that deserves the sort of presentation that TCM can give, and not many other channels outside of the higher premium levels.

I've made a few brief mentions of Five Star Final over the years; it's airing tomorrow morning at 10:00 AM. To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing a double bill of Five Star Final with the 1931 version of His Girl Friday, both of which were nominated for the Best Picture of 1931. However, that version of His Girl Friday was released by United Artists, so I don't know how difficult it would be for TCM to get the rights to it again.

No comments: