Sunday, February 13, 2011

Have I mentioned how much I hate Going My Way?

Actually, I have, when discussing several movies that were more worthy of winning Oscars that year. At any rate, Going My Way, Oscar's Best Picture of 1944, is airing tonight at 10:00 PM ET, so you can judge for yourself.

Bing Crosby plays a singing priest who revives a failing parish with the help of drunk kiddie-fiddler Barry Fitzgerald, spreading large amounts of treacle along the way. The one thing the movie has going for it is no Margaret O'Brien. Unfortunately, the movie is obnoxiously and unrealistically optimistic and perky, like some of those Doris Day movies. It also engages in all those irritating tropes about Irish-Americans as jolly people given to song. But, as I always say with movies I don't like, you should make up your own mind about the movie. It's also been released to DVD, so you don't have to stay up for tonight's TCM showing.

No comments: