Sunday, February 12, 2012

Cimarron (1960)

I've blogged about Oscar's Best Picture of 1931, Cimarron, before, and mentioned that it was remade in 1960. Since it's one of those films that's been remade with the same title, you have to be careful looking at the listings when it shows up on the schedule. Monday at 11:00 AM, TCM is scheduled to air the 1960 version of Cimarron, in which Glenn Ford plays the part of Yancey Cravat, played by Richard Dix in the original. Thankfully, everybody seems to agree on tomorrow's schedule: TCM's original printable schedule, their online schedule, and the box guide all have the same thing. And with this being 31 Days of Oscar, it's of note that the 1960 version of Cimarron did receive two Oscar nominations (for sound and art direction).

Actually, I should have heeded my own warnings about looking at the schedule last week. I had noticed in the printable schedule that TCM was showing State Fair. I didn't look carefully enough, and figured this was the 1945 musical, starring Jeanne Crain and Dana Andrews, which doesn't particularly interest me; I'm not a huge fan of Fox musicals. I'm certainly not interested interested in the 1962 version starring Pat Boone, either, although that one wasn't worthy enough to be nominated for any Oscars. However, what TCM really aired was the 1933 non-musical pre-Code version, starring Janet Gaynor and Will Rogers, which sounds much more interesting. And it doesn't seem to be on the TCM schedule again any time soon.

No comments: