Friday, February 8, 2013

A blizzard of Fox movies

There's a big snowstorm headed toward the northeast, and since snowstorms always require me to go up on the roof and clear the snow away from the satellite receiver for my Internet, there's a pretty good chance I'm not going to be online until sometime Saturday. It's a bit difficult to figure out what to blog about anyhow, since there are a lot of movies that I've already blogged about.

TCM's 31 Days of Oscar is up to a programming block of movies from 20th Century-Fox, and a surprisingly long block at that. In fact it's a full three days, until RKO's Cimarron comes up at 6:15 AM Monday. I suppose that's not such a bad thing, since it means that TCM is having more luck at getting the rights to run movies from the Fox library. This block of programming brings a couple of movies that I believe are TCM premieres, such as Wilson at 8:00 PM tonight, a 1944 biopic in which Alexander Knox plays Woodrow Wilson. Knox does quite a good job, although I find the movie overlong at 154 minutes, and like most biopics back then, utterly uncritical in its view of the subject. Another nice Technicolor movie that I believe is a TCM premiere is Captain From Castile overnight at 3:45 AM, starring Tyrone Power as a man who goes to Mexico with the conquistadores to escape the Spanish Inquisition.

The other pleasant surprise is that FMC is going to be running some old classics on Saturday. Granted, I've done posts on all of them, but still, it's good to see them back:

Moontide with Jean Gabin at 6:00 AM;
Fallen Angel follows at 8:00 AM;
Gene Tierney stars as Laura at 10:00 AM; and
Vicki, the remake of I Wake Up Screaming, is on at 11:30 AM

Moontide has only the one showing; the other three are going to be back on at various times in March. I thought I'd blogged about Vicki before, but apparently not; perhaps I'll get around to doing so when it shows up again in March.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NEEDS MOAR LABELZ!

Anonymous said...

What we really need is a spy thriller about a Pedobot.

Oooh, ohh! Does FMC have one of those?