Friday, October 20, 2017

Danielle Darrieux, 1917-2017



French-born actress Danielle Darrieux, who did some acting in Hollywood in the late 1930s, has died aged 100. I have to admit that I'm not too well-versed with her French work, since I don't think I ever recorded any of the famous movies she did with Max Ophüls like The Earrings of Madam de...

Apparently she had quite the complicated personal life, having fallen in love with a diplomat from the Dominican Republic early in World War II and then his getting arrested by the Nazis. She tried to get him freed, and this led to accusations that she collaborated with the Nazis.

I last commented about Darrieux when she turned 100 back in May since TCM ran a night of her films, which is why I knew I had that photo from The Rage of Paris on my computer even though Photobucket turned off third-party viewing.

No comments: