Thursday, September 20, 2018

A brief confession

I have to admit that I've only seen one of the four movies that's airing on TCM tonight s part of teh Black Experience on Film spotlight. Tonight's lineup is "Strong Women", and while I've seen Coffy and Foxy Brown, I never have seen Cleopatra Jones, which concludes the night at 1:45 AM.

The one I have seen and can recommend, is Claudine at 8:00 PM. Diahann Carroll plays the title character, a single mother in 1970s Harlem with six kids living off welfare and taking jobs under the table so as not to endanger those welfare benefits. At one of those jobs, she meets sanitation worker James Earl Jones, and the two start a relaltionship. Meanwhile, her kids are growing up, and the two oldest are beginning to cause big headaches.

Thankfully, it's available on DVD since it shows up on TV all too rarely. I think I saw it on TCM four or five years ago and don't know if it ever showed up on FXM/FMC.

The other thankful thing is that I've got room on my DVR for the first time in a while.

2 comments:

Dell said...

Did you get to watch Cleopatra Jones? If so, how'd you like it? I think it's fun, but a notch below Foxy Brown and two notches below Coffy.

Claudine is labeled as a blaxpoitation, but other than the skin color of the cast, I don't think it really fits the mold. Then again, I haven't seen it in over 20 years so I probably should revisit it.

Ted S. (Just a Cineast) said...

I've got a bunch of movies from the Black Experience in Film series DVRed to watch, including Cleopatra Jones. Who knows when I'll get around to them all.

I wouldn't call Claudine blaxploitation at all, just a well-made contemporary drama. Well, other than the scene of naked James Earl Jones trying to kill a rat.