Friday, September 21, 2018

Briefs for September 21-22, 2018

In thinking about what to post today, I decided to get out another DVD from the Warner Gangsters Vol. 3 collectin that I've mentioned before, with the intention of commenting on one of the shorts. This time, it was Lady Killer. There are three shorts on the DVD. The first is The Camera Speaks. I was all set to do a post on it, except that I looked up the blog and saw I did a brief post on it back in March 2010. I don't think I was aware at the time whether the short was available on DVD.

The second short was Kissing Time, a 1933 two-reeler described as an operetta (ugh) and starring... Jane Froman. I'm not a fan of operetta and I didn't really want to spend the time watching a full two-reeler before doing a post on it, but I did notice the actress. As you may recall, she would be the subject of a 1952 movie, With a Song in My Heart, about her recovery from serious injuries in a plane crash; in that movie Froman is played by Susan Hayward. (Thelma Ritter was nominated again for Best Supporting Actress.)

The third short was the 1933 cartoon The Shanty Where Santy Claus Lives, which is a nother Harman/Ising short. I figured I'd save that one until closer to Christmas.

In looking it up, it seems as if the standalone DVD of Lady Killer is out of print, as is the Warner Gangsters collection, which is a shame.

No comments: