Friday, December 21, 2018

Briefs for December 21-22, 2018

Movie reviews have been a bit slow in coming, in part because work has been so busy and in part because I watched a movie last weekend that I didn't realize is out of print on DVD. (It's going to be on next week, I think.) I'm hoping to have more time to watch stuff in the new year since work is supposed to return to normal.

If you like the TCM Saturday morning block, it's taking a week off for Christmas, with a bunch of religious-themed movies airing Saturday morning up to 8:00 PM. Well, not too many, since they're epics and run endlessly. At least The Miracle of the Lady of Fatima at 7:45 AM is a change of pace.

I probably should have mentioned the deaths of Donald Moffat and Peter Masterson earlier this week. Moffat was a veteran character actor whom I feel like I should recognize more than I do, although to be fair a lot of his work was on TV. Masterson directed The Trip to Bountiful, a movie I highly recommend, and also wrote and acted.

Finally, I was a bit premature in some of my comments on the 2019 movies blogathon post yesterday. I didn't realize that our dead mall has already found a replacement for the sixtyplex that closed in August, and it's supposed to open in January. Not that I'll be going up there very often in any case.

No comments: