Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Sammy Cahn, 1913-1993

I noticed that today is the birth anniversary of lyricist and four-time Oscar winner Sammy Cahn. So I looked him up on Youtube and found a couple of clips from Academy Awards shows:



"Three Coins in the Fountain", from the film of the same name, won Cahn his first Oscar. IMDb says the song was sung in the movie by Frank Sinatra; it's been rather a long time since I've seen the movie so I didn't remember that. The Academy doesn't seem to have put up the official clip of Cahn's winning and the acceptance speech, so I linked to this bit of Dean Martin singing the song to announce its nomination.



Doris Day announced that Cahn won another Oscar for "High Hopes" from the film A Hole in the Head, with Day being introduced by perpetual Oscar host Bob Hope.

No comments: