Thursday, September 28, 2023

National Silent Movie Day

Harold Lloyd hanging from the clock in Safety Last! (Sept. 29, 3:00 PM)

Who knew that some organization tried to get something called "National Silent Movie Day" going? I didn't but apparently that day is tomorrow. As such, TCM is running a day full of silent movies, at least a morning and afternoon but not prime time. This is going to give me the opportunity to record several things I haven't seen before.

In fact, the lineup is almost entirely films from 1923 celebrating their centenary this year. The only thing I'm not certain about is the first two sets of silent shorts. The day kicks off with Century of Animation Showcase: 1923 at 6:00 AM, so that should be films from 1923. The second set, Walt's Early Wonderlands at 7:00 AM, may or may not be entirely 1923 films.

The day concludes with the silent version of The Ten Commandments at 5:30 PM. Since TCM isn't going to be able to get the rights to the Charlton Heston version any time soon, this is the one we're going to have to live with, and I have to admit it's one I've never seen before.

No comments: