Tuesday, April 2, 2024

TCM Star of the Month April 2024: Marlon Brando

Marlon Brando (r.) with Karl Malden in On the Waterfront (8:00 PM, April 3)

This month sees the centenary of actor Marlon Brando. Specifically, that anniversary is tomorrow, April 3. Because the centenary is this year, it's not a surprise that TCM would finally pick this time to make Brando their Star of the Month. Every Wednesday in prime time, TCM will be airing some of the movies that Brando made during his roughly 40-year career.

Now, normally since the movies are airing Wednesdays in prime time, I'd put this post up on the first Wednesday of the month. But in fact, since tomorrow is the centenary, TCM is starting the tribute early, at 6:00 AM tomorrow with The Fugitive Kind.

As of right now, I don't have any of Brando's movies on my DVR that I haven't blogged about before, but I will be recording some stuff as there are a few of the movies airing that I haven't blogged about before. One pleasant surprise on the schedule is The Godfather on April 10; I thought one of the other cable conglomerates had the broadcast rights to that sewn up for ages. Apparently TCM had enough of a budget to get the rights for one more showing. Also on April 10 is Last Tango in Paris.

April 17 sees Guys and Dolls, which has been airing on one of the FAST platforms; I think it's the channel that airs old Samuel Goldwyn movies since they produced the film version originally. April 24 brings Apocalypse Now, as well as one spot on the schedule currently listed as "to be announced".

No comments: