I suppose the first thing I should do is mention the passing of director Mark Rydell, who died last Thursday at the age of 97. He directed On Golden Pond, which I saw ages ago but have not done a post on according to a search of the blog, which means I must have seen it before I started blogging. I came across the end of Bette Midler's The Rose ages ago on the old Fox Movie Channel, I think again before I started blogging, and haven't found it since. However, looking at the list of Rydell movies, it turns out that I do have one of his films in my list of films to blog about, Harry and Walter Go to New York which aired on TCM for Diane Keaton's day. So that will be scheduled for sometime in September.
I just noticed recently that I've been misspelling "Paul Henreid" for years as "Henried", which might explain why searches for him haven't shown everything on my blog, and why the tags are a bit screwy. So I've been going through the archive of old posts and changing the tags, although the actual posts themselves are a bit more of a pain to change.
Also having died recently is actress Peggy Webber, who appeared in Orson Welles' adaptation of Macbeth as well as driving the plot of Alfred Hitchcock's The Wrong Man. Webber was 100 when she died on Saturday.
In news of the odd, apparently grifting Meghan Markle produced a documentary on Girl Scout cookies. The interesting thing isn't that it bombed at the box office per se, but that accodring to the article it was beaten by a movie called CatVideoFest 2026. Not only that, but CatVideoFest has been going on for a decade. Then again, I'm also not in an area that would get it in its limited theatrical run.
Hattie McDaniel is being honored today in Summer Under the Stars, which means another showing of the 1936 version of Show Boat (2:00 AM overnight) which I had on my DVR from the last TCM showing but didn't get around to watching. That will be followed tomorrow by Marlon Brando. I don't think I've actually watched his version of Mutiny on the Bounty (1:00 PM) in its entirety before. There's also The Nightcomers (August 21, 2:15 AM), which I know I hadn't heard of before seeing it show up on the TCM schedule.

No comments:
Post a Comment