Thursday, April 8, 2010

Thank you, Warner Archive Collection



You may or may not have heard about about the political turmoil going on in the landlocked former Soviet republic of Kyrgyzstan. The basic gist of it is that one post-Soviet leader grew corrupt, so a few years back, the opposition staged a revolution and deposed him. That opposition, once in power, grew corrupt itself, with the result that it, too, has apparently been toppled.

Why am I posting about Kyrgyzstan? Well, when I saw the news about it, one of the things that sprang to mind is the seriously underrated Cary Grant movie Crisis, which I blogged about last August as part of Cary Grant's day in TCM's Summer Under the Stars. At the time, I mentioned that Crisis hadn't been released to DVD. It turns out that's not the case. The Warner Archive Collection, which you can reach from the TCM website, and which TCM mentions in its on-air promos quite a bit, had put Crisis on DVD. However, the information on the IMDb for whether a movie is on DVD (or VHS) goes directly to Amazon. Now, Amazon have gotten some copies of movies from the Warner Archives, and are selling those on their site, although presumably at higher cost than what you'd pay direct from the source. Last August, though, Crisis hadn't yet gotten to Amazon, which would be why I thought it wasn't on DVD at all.

I gave Crisis a pretty favorable rating when I blogged about it last August, and I still stand by that opinion.

No comments: