Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's with the Marx Brothers

TCM always has a special theme for New Year's Eve, and this year is no different. Robert Osborne will be all dressed up in his tuxedo to present several of the Marx Brothers' earlier movies. This means that we get to see Zeppo Marx four times; he left the movie business after Duck Soup in 1933. The fifth Marx Brother, Gummo, was only briefly part of the comic act, leaving during the vaudeville days to found a talent agency, and never making a movie. Now, I have to admit that I'm not the biggest fan of the Marx Brothers. (Actually, I've already admitted it. But I have no qualms about admitting it again. The October 2009 comments that I made about the Ritz Brothers still hold true, too.)

TCM has been spending the morning and aftenoon showing a bunch of Cary Grant's comedies, although they'll also be showing North by Northwest, which is decidedly not a comedy. While Robert Osborne, I think, prefers champagne, it looks as though Cary Grant has a different drink he'd like to offer all of us. As for himself, he'll keep all the booze that he drank in Father Goose, if only Leslie Caron and those bratty kids don't take it from him.

Whatever your drink of choice may be, I wish you a happy and healthy New Year 2011, and that you never date any of your new checks 2010!

No comments: