Monday, February 14, 2011

French World War II movies

Well, French movies about the war and the Nazi occupation; obviously, they couldn't make movies on that topic during the war since somebody would have had a problem with it. TCM, as part of its 31 Days of Oscar, has been airing some of the movies nominated for the Best Foreign Film Oscar on Tuesdays. This week, that includes a couple of movies that I haven't seen in a while:

Au Revoir, Les Enfants at 6:30 AM ET, in which the young students at a French Catholic boarding school welcome a new student, who happens to be a Jew taken in in order to keep the Nazis from finding him. It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but as I remember it, it's actually a semiautobiographical movie about director Louis Malle's experience during the war.

That's followed at 8:15 AM by The Last Metro, in which Catherine Deneuve plays an actress who hides her Jewish husband in the basement of the theater where they work. It's been even longer since I've seen this one than since I've seen Au Revoir, Les Enfants, so if I tried to do a full-length post on the subject, I'd probably get a lot of the details wrong.

Note also that Au Revoir, Les Enfants is listed as a 105-minute film, being fit into a time slot that's exactly one and three-quarters hours long, so if you only want to record that one, you might want to record a few minutes beyond the end of the time slot.

I also wish that they could show Kapo, although it deals with a different aspect of the war.

No comments: