Monday, September 10, 2012

Jack Cole

TCM's programming theme for tonight is "Choreography by Jack Cole". Now, as you can guess from having a choreographer, tonight's lineup is a bunch of movies with musical numbers. I've stated before that musicals aren't my favorite genre; in fact, I just mentioned that within the past week. And yet, it doesn't bother me that TCM is putting the spotlight on Cole tonight.

The thing is, if TCM didn't do this, who would? Sure, there are film societies around the country, but those have a limited reach. And as I think I've stated before, no programmer can be all things to all people at all times. They're going to come up with some programming themes that I really like, and some that aren't particularly up my alley. And so it is with tonight's lineup. TCM is showing five films in their Cole tribute:

Tonight and Every Night at 8:00 PM, with Rita Hayworth in Technicolor as the headliner at a London theater determined to keep running during the World War II Nazi air raids;
On the Riviera at 10:00 PM, starring Gene Tierney who kept possession of the portrait from Laura, which we see in Technicolor here;
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes at 11:45 PM, with delightful performances from Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell;
Les Girls at 1:30 AM; and
River of No Return at 3:30 AM, which isn't quite a musical, although Marilyn Monroe does do a number or two.

No comments: