Back in August 2011, I mentioned a short called The Song of a Nation, about the events that led Francis Scott Key to write the poem "The Star-Spangled Banner". (The music is from an old English drinking song.) It looks to be on the schedule again tonight, overnight at about 3:25 AM.
I say "looks like" because TCM's schedule lists The Song of a Nation as being made in 1947. In fact, the Technicolor short under discussion was released in 1936, and IMDb doesn't come up with any other matches for The Song of a Nation. The reason for the discrepancy is most likely due to the fact that, according to IMDb, The Song of a Nation got a re-release in 1947.
I said last year that The Song of a Nation wasn't available on DVD and doesn't even show up in a Youtube search. One year on, and that still holds. A search in the TCM Media Room doesn't yield any hits either, so you're going to have to catch this on TCM.
Around the Blogosphere This Week...
38 minutes ago

No comments:
Post a Comment