Sunday, January 11, 2015

Anita Ekberg, 1931-2015


Anita Ekberg in La Dolce Vita (1960)

Swedish-born actress Anita Ekberg, who starred in a series of films in Hollywood and then Italy in the 1950s and 1960s, has died in Italy at the age of 83. Ekberg would probably be best remembered for the movie La Dolce Vita, although I have to admit that's one of those Fellini movies I've never seen. In fact, Fellini is one of those foreign directors I've never really gotten around to watching much

But there are a lot of her Hollywood movies that I've never gotten around to watching, either. I've blogged about Way... Way Out as well as Man in the Vault. Both are probably worth at least one viewing, although Man in the Vault is the sort of movie I prefer simply because of the genre. Ekberg was also in Back From Eternity, a movie that I'm not certain whether I've seen in its entirety, an unsureness which comes down to the fact that the movie is a remake of the 1939 movie Five Came Back.

I don't know what if anything TCM is going to be doing for Ekberg in the way of programming. The tribute for Rod Taylor has already been set for January 29 in prime time, and then there's 31 Days of Oscar.

No comments: