Saturday, May 23, 2015

Marty Pasetta dies at 82

Marty Pasetta is another of those names that I wouldn't have recognized, but apparently he was the director for the Oscar telecast for 17 years in the 1970s and 1980s. His death deserves a bit of mention not just for that, but for the freakish way in which it happened. Apparently, he was a passenger in a car with a group of people. He got off at his destination, but everybody else got out of the car too, with the car still in gear. So the car went off and struck its passengers, killing Marty. Or at least, that's what the description seems to imply.

I hate to be morbid, but there's got to be some old movie that has scenes of a car going off on its own only without the killing people. Actually, no, I don't hate to be morbid at all. Coming up with movies of ridiculous death scenes or funny disasters is fun, which is why people like seeing these things. I think it was Mel Brooks who said, "Tragedy is when I get a paper cut on my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

No comments: