Thursday, September 17, 2015

The apparently out-of-print update and more

Susan Hayward returns to TCM for the third night of her Star of the Month salute, kicking off at 8:00 PM with Demetrius and the Gladiators, a film that I have to admit I haven't seen before, so I can't comment on it. That's followed at 10:00 by The Gladiator, a movie which is interesting for its casting of John Wayne as Genghis Khan as well as the fact they filmed it in a fallout zone and a lot of the cast and crew wound up getting cancer. (Dick Powell probably didn't get the cancer from the fallout since I'd think it would take longer for the radioactivity to have its effect, but people like Hayward may have.)

At any rate, TCM is finally getting around to showing Hayward's Oscar-winning role in I Want to Live! overnight at 2:15 AM. I think my views of that movie have been made clear in previous posts. But what I noticed in looking at the TCM schedule is that TCM claims it's not available from the TCM Shop. And sure enough, looking at the results on Amazon, it seems to be only old DVD releases and streaming video that are available.

Tomorrow morning and afternoon sees several heist movies on TCM, including a few that I hadn't heard of before seeing them on the TCM schedule. The day includes The Asphalt Jungle, which is another one that the TCM schedule claims is not available at the TCM Shop and which Amazon lists on old releases and streaming video. This one is a much bigger surprise for me. After all, The Asphalt Jungle was made at MGM, which means it should be part of the old "Turner library" that Warner Bros. has the rights to. I would have thought that this one would have made it to the Warner Archive quite some time ago. Apparently not.

No comments: