Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Briefs for July 6, 2016

I probably should have done a full-length post on Canadian Pacific, which is airing today at 12:15 PM as part of the salute to westerns. Randolph Scott plays a man trying to find a way through the mountains as Canada builds its own transcontinental railroad; meanwhile, the settlers already there don't want it since they fear it will bring more settlers. That having been said, it's a bit hazy in my memory, and I only watched it within the past year since it was on my DVR, so it's a fairly pedestrian western.

I think I also should have mentioned the death of Noel Neill, who died over the weekend aged 95. Neill played Lois Lane in the 1948 and 1950 Superman serials, and then reprised that role in the 1950s TV series The Adventures of Superman opposite George Reeves. The TV series can be seen on MeTV at 6:00 PM ET Saturdays; I'm not certain of the time in other time zones.

Somebody on the TCM boards posted that the Backlot, for which you have to pay a ridiculous sum to become a "superfan", is running a promotion to allow its members to vote for the December Star of the Month. I'm not a member, but I'd assume there's a choice between a limited number of people. (It really should be Kirk Douglas, since December is when he turns 100.) A brief web search yielded this page, from a site that apparently aggregates promotional e-mails. What will they think of next?

No comments: