Friday, July 15, 2016

Olivia de Havilland out of print

In looking through tonight's schedule on the TCM site, I'm somewhat surprised by what seems to have fallen out of print, based on what doesn't seem to be available from the Shop TCM site.

Tonight starts off with an Oscar-nominated performance from Olivia in The Snake Pit; at 8:00 PM. (I can't believe it's been six years since I blogged about it.) That one got a DVD release back in 2004 from Fox Studio Classics, so it's unsurprising that it's fallen out of print. I don't know if De Havilland did enough at Fox for them to put out a box set.

Coming up at 12:15 AM is de Havilland's first Oscar-winning performance, in To Each His Own. The DVDs on offer at Amazon seem not to be North American DVDs.

Perhaps most surprisingly is that A Midsummer Night's Dream, airing tomorrow morning at 9:30 AM, doesn't seem to be available from the TCM Shop. Amazon do have a 2007 DVD on offer; I'm not certain if it's in print, but it didn't seem to bring up the warning I saw for The Snake Pit that there is only a limited number of copies available. Considering that this one was put out by Warner Bros., I'm surprised they never made it part of one of those four-movie TCM-branded box sets of Olivia de Havilland movies.

No comments: