Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Notes for April 17-18, 2018

I should probably apologize for not pointing out the possible schedule conflict on Sunday. TCM ran Greed in Silent Sunday Nights, followed by the Soviet origial version of Solaris. The only thing is, Greed has two versions. The theatrical version in 1924 runs around 135 minutes, but several years back there was a restoration with found production stills that's padded it out to four hours. TCM ran the latter, and my box guide reflected that, with Solaris starting at either 4:00 AM or 4:15 AM, I forget with. But, on their schedule page, TCM had a time slot suitable for the 2:15 version, followed by Solaris, a featurette, and then a feature at 6:00 AM. I and another poster on the TCM boards mentioned all this on Sunday, but another poster missed it and wondered what was going on Monday morning.

R. Lee Ermey, who played the drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket among a whole host of other roles, died on Sunday at the age of 74. I have to admit I'm not particularly a fan of movies about Vietnam, or a lot of Kubrick's movies.

The TCM website still has, as far as I can see, nothing about the death of Miloš Forman and whether there will ever be a programming tribute.

No comments: