Monday, May 13, 2019

Doris Day, 1922-2019


Doris Day in a publicity still with James Garner

The death has been announced of actress Doris Day, who died this morning at the age of 97. (I think I might have mentioned once that some sources listed she was born in 1924, but her actual year of birth was cleared up a couple of years back.) In a 20-year movie career she acted in quite a few comedies and musicals, although she made the western Calamity Jane and a couple of straight dramas:



Here she is, second from left in the underrated Julie. There's also The Man Who Knew Too Much, in which she sang the Oscar-winning song "Que Sera Sera", which she'd go on to sing in a couple of other movies.




I was also able to find a clip from the Warner Archive's Youtube channel of her singing the title song to The Glass Bottom Boat, so I'll include that here:



TCM has already put out a TCM Remembers piece for Day, as well as a section on their website. I didn't see offhand any mention of when TCM would be running their programming tribute to her, but I'm sure that will be announced in due time.

No comments: