Thursday, August 29, 2019

Briefs for August 29-30, 2019

So Paul Lukas was today's star in Summer Under the Stars. I saw that I Found Stella Parish was on the schedule, and thought about putting it on the DVR to watch and do a post on. But I made certain first to check whether I had done a post on it before. Sure enough, I had, back in July 2014. I wrote at the time that the movie didn't seem to be available on DVD. It has since received a DVD release courtesy of the Warner Archive collection, in August 2015. So if you want to watch it whenever, now you can.

Tomorrow's star is Susan Hayward, who appeared in any number of potboilers back in the late 50s and early 60s, as I mentioned when I blogged about Back Street back at the end of July. That one isn't on the TCM schedule, but among the schedule are Ada at 12:30 PM, which I mentioned not too awful long ago, and Stolen Hours at 10:30 AM. That one is a remake of the old Bette Davis vehicle Dark Victory. At 10:15 PM is House of Strangers, which may be a TCM premiere since the daily schedule doesn't have a plot synopsis.

For those of you with the Starz/Encore package, you've got two chances to watch the 1991 version of Cape Fear tomorrow on StarzEncore Classics. One is early, overnight tonight at 12:37 PM, so many of you will likely miss it by the time you read this post. The second airing is at 2:29 PM. I wouldn't normally mention it, except that TCM is running the original over the weekend, at 8:00 PM Sunday as part of a double feature of "Psychological Thrillers". Both versions are available on DVD.

No comments: