Thursday, August 29, 2019

Thursday Movie Picks #268: Reboots and Revivals (TV edition)






This being Thursday, it's time for another edition of Thursday Movie Picks, the blogathon run by Wandering Through the Shelves. Once again we're at the last Thursday of the month, meaning that there's another TV edition of the picks. This time out, the theme is revivals and reboots. In some ways that's easy for me in that I'm a game show fan and there are a whole lot of game shows that have been brought back to TV -- indeed, if you've been watching ABC over the summer you'll probably have seen one or another of them. The only problem is that I've used a whole bunch of the game shows already in other TV TMP editions, so I have to go a different direction. However, after a bit of thought, I was able to come up with three shows. One's been revived several times and I won't get surprised if other people pick the most recent version; the other two, well, I think there's a reason they're mostly forgotten:



The Twilight Zone (1985-1989). Rod Serling's classic anthology series was made into a TV movie in the early 1980s, followed by this TV revival. There was a second revival in the early 2000s and a third one this year.



Gilligan's Planet (1982). The castaways from the 1960s series Gilligan's Island get off the island thanks to the Professor's building a spaceship. Except that they get lost and wind up on an unknown planet. All of the actors from the TV show lent their voices to this one with the exception of Tina Louise (Ginger). Not to be confused with The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island:





The Brady Brides (1981). Marcia (it's always Marcia! Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!) and Jan from The Brady Bunch got married in a double wedding that was supposed to be a TV movie, but the network suits decided to turn it into a series that was cancelled in short order. It wasn't the first revival or the last. There was a Christmas movie in the late 1980s that led to another short-lived series, and two movies in the 90s which deliberately played on putting the Bradys in a fish-out-of-water time warp, which makes the movies a lot of fun if you remember the original show (eg: George Glass finally shows up).

2 comments:

Brittani Burnham said...

I loved watching The Brady Bunch on Nick at Nite when I was a kid. I broke my foot one summer when they were doing all night marathons of that and that was essentially all I did. I never saw Brady Brides though.

Birgit said...

We match with the Twilight Zone but I picked the original opening so i am glad you showcased the '80's version. I can say I have...yes, I have watched Gilligan's Planet and forgot about that one maybe because I wanted to forget. I also saw all the Gilligan TV movies and I bet Martin Landau would love to forget (if he were alive) that he was in this movie. I also saw The Brady Brides and the tv remake where Bobby becomes paralyzed!