Saturday, August 17, 2019

Peter Fonda, 1940-2019


Peter Fonda in Easy Rider (1969)

I suppose I should mention the passing of actor Peter Fonda. Son of Henry and sister of Jane, Peter became famous in his own right for his work on the 1969 movie Easy Rider. I have to admit that Easy Rider is not a movie that particularly interests me, since I was born in 1972 and the whole Boomer counterculture thing hasn't been very appealing.

Fonda received an Oscar nomination for co-writing the script to Easy Rider, but his career didn't quite take off the way his sister's had. He got a second act, though, when he took the leading role in Ulee's Gold, the movie that got him an acting Oscar nomination, although he didn't win.

Peter is the father of actress Bridget Fonda, which makes me want to watch Scandal (the movie about the Profumo scandal in which Bridget plays Mandy Rice-Davies) again, although it doesn't seem to have gotten a US DVD release.

No comments: