Friday, February 14, 2020

Briefs for February 14-15, 2020


Ann E. Todd died last week at the age of 88. Todd was a stage name, of course; she was a child star who appeared in a bunch of movies starting in about 1939 before retiring from showbiz in the early 1950s. I don't think I would have recognized her as a child star per se, but she's got some roles in well known movies, starting with one of Leslie Howard's children in Intermezzo: A Love Story. She's one of the kids raised by governess Bette Davis in All This and Heaven Too, and the child who grows up to be "Oomph Girl" Ann Sheridan in Kings Row.

Brubaker is on TCM tonight. I'm not certain if I've seen it, at least not unedited. Thankfully it's on DVD too, so it's going on the DVR for me to do a review on at some point in the future. My "new" DVR is actually rapidly filling up, and I think it's about twice as big as the old one.

When Kirk Douglas died, I mentioned that StarzEncore Westerns was running his movie Posse. In fact, the channel has the rights to a handful of his westerns and is running a mini-marathon of them on Saturday, Feb. 15:

The Man from Snowy River, with Douglas in a dual role, kicks things off at 12:21 PM;
Man Without a Star, which I just watched, comes on at 2:07 PM;
Gunfight at the OK Corral, about, well, that gunfight, follows at 3:38 PM; and
Posse concludes the mini-marathon at 5:42 PM.

No comments: