Thursday, February 27, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks #294: Romance (TV edition)





This being Thursday, it's normally time for another edition of Thursday Movie Picks, the blogathon run by Wandering Through the Shelves. This being the last Thursday of the month, it's time for another TV-themed edition of the blogathon, with the TV theme this month being romance, something I suppose is appropriate for February. I've already used The Love Boat, and now I'm really irritated that I used Who Wants to Marry a Multimillionaire because it would be a hoot to use here. But at any rate I was able to come up with three shows with fit the theme to a greater or lesser degree:



Love, American Style (1969-1974). Anthology series about people finding love, usually somewhat comedic in nature. Originally an hour-long series, the use of multiple stories per episode made it easy to edit down to a greater number of half-hour episodes for syndication (which is how I remember it). The show also featured a story that would eventually become the long-running sitcom Happy Days.



Finder of Lost Loves (1984-1985). Anthony Franciosa plays a widowed private detective who, as you can guess from the title, helps people find lost loves. Of course, part of the drama is that life goes on and having a lost love from earlier in your life come back into it may cause more problems than it solves.



Divorce Court (1999-present). After the romance has gone, some couples split up and go to divorce court. This is the current incarnation, which allegedly features real cases in binding arbitration, a trend started back in the early 1980s by The People's Court. There were earlier Divorce Court shows as far back as 1959 which were re-enactments with actors.

4 comments:

joel65913 said...

Divorce Court! Ha! What a hoot that show could be.

We match on Love, American Style which is very much a product of its time but can be charming or painfully dumb by turns.

I never saw Finder of Lost Loves but it sounds like something I'd enjoy.

I went all romantic comedies but with slightly different structures.

The Nanny (1993-1999)-Fran Fine (Fran Drescher) is working in a bridal shop in Flushing, Queens when her boyfriend kicks her out in one of those crushing scenes. What is she to do, where is she to go? She’s out on her fanny. So it’s over the bridge to the Sheffield's door, she was there to sell make-up but the father saw more….she had style, she had flair, she was there! That's how she became the Nanny. And for the next five years Fran and her widowed commitmentphobe boss Broadway producer Maxwell Sheffield (Charles Shaughnessy) flirt, fight and fall in love while she raises his three children and causes dozens of calamities assisted her dizzy friend Val (Rachel Chagall), brassy mother Sylvia (Renee Taylor), forgetful Grandma Yetta (Ann Morgan Gilbert) as well as Niles, the butler (Daniel Davis) and Max’s brittle, cynical partner C.C. Babcock (Lauren Lane) who share a love/hate relationship while she too pines for Maxwell.

Pushing Daisies (2007)-Pie maker Ned (Lee Pace) has the ability to bring dead things back to life with his touch. He yearns for his childhood crush Chuck (Anna Friel) who he has brought back from the dead but at a cost. They cannot touch or Chuck will perish. While they try and find a solution they work with private investigator Emerson Cod (Chi McBride) and co-worker Olive Snook (a scene stealing Kristin Chenoweth) with Ned using his abilities to solve murder cases. Quirky, unique series was cancelled far too soon.

Love, American Style (1969-1974)-Comic anthology series that each week presented a series of vignettes featuring the various trials and tribulations of falling in love, marriage, falling back in love etc. With a constantly changing cast the show provided an early start for many future stars including Harrison Ford, Diane Keaton, Bernadette Peters, Burt Reynolds, Martin Sheen and many others.

Sonia Cerca said...

I haven't seen any of your picks.

Getter said...

I just commented on another post that I have two lists where I haven't seen any this week but this makes it three. Wow, haven't even heard of these which I guess.. I mean I'm more in tune with TV now than the ones before I was born. Divorce Court sounds like something I've seen clips of though... but I might confuse it with other shows similar to that.

Birgit said...

I almost went with Love, American Style and enjoye that show even though I was quite young. I remember that episode that became Happy Days and they reused that same episode on the actual happy days. Poor Ritchie drank too many shots..was it 72.?? I totally forgot about that show about Lost Loves but I didn’t watch it nor did I watch Divorce Court. I do love your picks