Sunday, February 9, 2020

Ireland and the Oscars


I was looking through various international news sites this morning as is my wont. I wound up on RTÉ, the site of the Irish public broadcaster. Saoirse Ronan happens to be up for an Oscar today, although I didn't see her movie (or any of the other Best Actress nominations, for that matter). It's more that there was a link on the RTÉ site that intrigued me: "The luck of the Irish": Irish Oscar wins and American culture.

It's an interesting if cursory given the time constraints look at Hollywood and its portrayal of Irishness and Irish-Americanness over the 90-plus years that Oscar has been around, as seen from the other side of the Atlantic. I'm not quite certain I agree with the author's view on Barry Fitzgerald in Going My Way, although that's a movie I really really hate.

No comments: