Sunday, May 31, 2020

Starting June 1


We're almost into a new month, which in the past I've stated always seems to mean some movies come out of the Fox vaults to run on FXM. There are some movies that I haven't mentioned in a while running on FXM, although I think they've been on a couple of times in May already. It's been almost five years since I mentioned Trouble Man, which will be on tomorrow morning at 7:30 AM. When I saw this one back on the FXM schedule a couple of weeks ago, I was really thrilled, but then I realized that I was actually thinking of a different movie that isn't on the schedule, Together Brothers. But that's rather unfair to Trouble Man, which is a pretty good movie in its own right.

Later in the day on Monday, at 12:05 PM, is the Laird Cregar version of The Lodger, which apparently is one I haven't done a full-length review on, although I've mentioned its airings a couple of times in the past. I think it's in part because I've mentioned the Alfred Hitchcock version of The Lodger on a couple of occasions. The Cregar movie is pretty good too, and well worth a watch if you haven't seen it before.

Back on TCM, Silent Sunday Nights for this week is an airing of He Who Gets Slapped at midnight. I think this one just aired in May, although I didn't mention it then. It will be followed at 2:00 AM by Black Girl, the TCM Import about a young woman from Senegal who becomes a maid to a French family but finds domestic life in France to be not what she anticipated. Monday morning and afternoon will be devoted to the movies of Frank Morgan, probably best known for playing the title role in The Wizard of Oz. June 1 is the anniversary of his birth, having been born in 1890.

Finally, I'll mention that one of the TCM Spotlights for June is jazz music in the movie, with a whole bunch of movies running every Monday and Thursday in prime time, except I think for the 29th, which sees a centenary tribute to Ray Harryhausen.

No comments: