Thursday, July 16, 2020

Briefs for July 16, 2020


TCM spent this morning and afternoon looking at one of today's more prominent birth anniversaries, Ginger Rogers. Apparently they could have spent the day with Barbara Stanywck too; I didn't realize the two share a birthday although Stanwyck was four years older. (Rogers was born on the same day and year as Sonny Tufts, while Stanwyck shares that distinction with Orville Redenbacher of popcorn fame.) Looking through the lesser-known birthdays, I see that on this date in 1888, Percy Kilbride was born. He's best known for playing Pa Kettle opposite Marjorie Main in all those movies starting with The Egg and I.

Tonight's lineup on TCM is a night of Charles Coburn movies, although the schedule is a bit off. The monthly schedule that I downloaded at the beginning of the month has Louisa at 10:00 PM with no synopsis, suggesting it might be a TCM premiere. For some reason that's missing from the on-line schedule, although there clearly has to be something in between The More the Merrier (8:00 PM) and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (11:45 PM). Indeed, my online box guide has Louisa at 10:00 PM. The monthly schedule also has a problem with the running time for The Green Years (1:30 AM), which is 125 minutes and should make the final film, B.F.'s Daughter (ooh, there's Barbara Stanwyck!) begin at 3:45 AM.

Tomorrow morning before the morning of Tod Browning films, there's the 1925 MGM tour, at 6:00 AM. After the Tod Browning films, there's Gideon of Scotland Yard at noon, starring Jack Hawkins as the Scotland Yard detective. This looks to be the American release, as the original British release, which I know I saw on TCM ages ago, was called Gideon's Day and runs in a longer time slot than TCM has for Gideon of Scotland Yard.

Over on FXM, tomorrow morning kicks off at 3:00 AM with The Incident, which has been back in the rotation for a little while now. Another movie that's been in the rotation is one with one of today's birthdays, Black Widow with Ginger Rogers. It was last on this past Monday, and I was going to do a post on it, but then I made it a point to check whether I had done a post before. It turns out that I did all the way back in 2008, which makes me wonder how long it had been since FXM/Fox Movie Channel put the movie back in the vault.

No comments: