Thursday, July 23, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks #315: Secret Doorways/Worlds






This being Thursday, it's time for another edition of Thursday Movie Picks, the blogathon run by Wandering Through the Shelves. This week's theme is "Secret Doorways/Worlds", one that was a bit tough for me at first, until I realized that hidden passages obviously have to have hidden doorways. With that in mind, I came up with two easily, and decided to cheat slightly on the third:

Secret of the Blue Room (1933). A series of murders occurred in the same room of a castle when Gloria Stuart was a baby. She's all grown up now, and a couple of suitors debate whether they should try to solve the mystery of what happened 20 years earlier. People die in a locked room, which obviously implies a hidden passage, and sure enough there is one. Lionel Atwill plays Stuart's dad, and Paul Lukas one of the men investigating.

Clue (1985). Comedic murder mystery based on the classic board game. Tim Curry plays the butler who assembles the six "characters" from the game at a mansion that has the same layout as the game, and murders occur. If you recall there were secret passages between the study and kitchen, as well as between the conservatory and lounge. When the movie was originally released, there were three endings based on whodunit, with different theaters getting different endings. The TV print shows the endings serially, with the first two being hypotheses and the third being "what really happened".

Secret World (1969). An orphaned boy living with his aunt and uncle in a decaying manor house in rural France is visited by his adult cousin (Marc Porel) and the cousin's girlfriend (Jacqueline Bisset). The young boy develops a romantic interest in Bisset, although she doesn't return the favor since he's much too young. It goes on like this, with lovely cinematography but a story where nothing happens. There's not much of a secret either.

2 comments:

ThePunkTheory said...

I haven't seen any of your picks, but I had at least heard of Clue. The last one you mentioned, however, sounds super intriguing - will have to check that one out!

Birgit said...

I wish I had a secret passage in my home because I just find it way too cool to have one. I would like to see your first pick which sounds like a good flicker to see. I love Clue and find it so funny with a great cast of characters. I don't know your last one as well but it sounds intriguing. I wonder if the boy gets an unhealthy fixation on Bissett.