Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Sam Fuller night


Tonight's lineup on TCM is a night of movies from director Sam Fuller, all of which are interesting, and some of which deserve to be better remembered, especially those that aren't on DVD or are out of print. I think I've blogged about all of them before, so no full-length post on any of these again.

The night kicks off at 8:00 PM with The Steel Helmet, a Korean War drama about a bunch of soldiers who wind up banding together after their various platoons get split up.
That's followed at 9:45 by probably the best-known of the movies, Pickup on South Street, starring Richard Widmark as a pickpocket who robs Jean Peters, who doesn't realize she's a courier for some very important government secrets.
Then at 11:30 comes House of Bamboo with Robert Stack as an MP in Japan looking for his "friend" Robert Ryan who is actually a gangster.
Up fourth is Underworld USA, at 1:15 PM, with Cliff Robertson as a man who joins the criminal underworld to gain revenge on the gangsters who killed his father when Cliff was an adolescent.
Park Row at 3:15 AM is a really interesting look at the yellow press in New York around the time the Statue of Liberty was being erected. In fact, this is the one that I haven't done a full-length post on before, although I haven't seen it in years. If I've got space on the DVR, I'll probably record it and watch again.
Concluding the night, or starting early tomorrow morning at 4:45 AM is The Baron of Arizona. This one is a really interesting historical drama about James Reavis (Vincent Price), a real person who used a point in the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo to make a false land claim to a large portion of the state of Arizona, and nearly got away with it.

2 comments:

thevoid99 said...

With the exception of Underworld U.S.A. and House of Bamboo as I've never seen them. The rest I have seen based on my list of the films he's directed that I've seen so far. Those 2 films plus The Crimson Kimono and Forty Guns (that I own on DVD from Criterion) are the ones I hope to see this month as a mini-marathon of films by Samuel Fuller. Park Row is extremely underrated.

Ted S. (Just a Cineast) said...

Forty Guns is a hoot, especially that song about Stanwyck as the woman with a whip.