Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Briefs for September 22-23, 2020

I probably should have mentioned the death of Diana Rigg last week, but I've been busy and never really got around to it, which is also why my recent posts don't feel particularly good to me. Thankfully, I've finally got some vacation time next week to watch a bunch of movies and (hopefully) do better posts. Rigg was in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and that makes me think of another Bond passing:

Michael Lonsdale. Lonsdale was the villain in Moonraker, playing Hugo Drax. The picture of him that I've used, however, is one that I used in a long-ago post on The Day of the Jackal, in which he plays the French police detective investigating the mysterious man of whose identity he has no idea. Lonsdale died on Monday at the age of 89.

It's been over a week since Al Kasha died, although I thought the notice only first came a couple of days ago. Kasha is an Oscar-winning songwriter. In fact, he won twice, first for "The Morning After" from The Poseidon Adventure, and then for "We May Never Love Like This Again" from The Towering Inferno, both sung by Maureen McGovern:

Tonight on TCM sees another night of the "Women Make Movies" spotlight, with the one I'm recording being Salaam Bombay. Over on FXM, there's the return of The Remarkable Mr. Pennypacker, which I thought I had done a full-length blog post on, but a search of the blog says I've only done a couple of brief blurbs, most recently for a Thursday Movie Picks in July 2019. It shows up at 9:30 AM tomorrow. Having gotten a full-length post is Day-Time Wife, which has been back in the rotation for a month or two now; that kicks the FXM Retro block off tomorrow at 3:00 AM. And for those who want to see Sonja Henie since I mentioned her in last week's Thursday Movie Picks, Everything Happens at Night will be on at 7:10 AM Thursday.

Another movie that got a brief mention in a recent Thursday Movie Picks, is Yellow Sky, which I mentioned because it was remade as The Jackals, a suitable movie for the "Sloth" edition of TMP. Yellow Sky will be on tomorrow for those with the StarzEncore package, on StarzEncore Westerns at 5:40 AM.

No comments: