Sunday, September 27, 2020

King Vidor day

With TCM running 31 Days of Oscar in February, there are a lot of movie birthdays that TCM can't really celebrate as they happen. One of them is King Vidor. So instead, TCM is giving us a morning and afternoon of movies directed by Vidor tomorrow.

I mention this in part because there are some interesting movies, and in part because at least one sounds really familiar but I'm pretty certain I haven't seen it before. That would be the first movie, Not So Dumb< at 6:00 AM. The plot synopsis is that Marion Davies tries to help her husband (Elliott Nugent) get ahead in business by throwing a wild party. I have a feeling I'm being reminded of a different movie, Loose Ankles, for whatever odd reason. Seeing Marion Davis in the cast makes me pretty certain I haven't seen Not So Dumb before. At any rate, I'm planning to record it to do a post later.

The rest of the movies are:
Sylvia Sidney in Street Scene at 7:30 AM;
The 1930s Bird of Paradise, with Joel McCrea and "native" Polynesian Dolores Del Rio, at 9:00 AM;
Depression-era social commentary in Our Daily Bread at 10:30 AM;
Spencer Tracy in the Colonial-era Northwest Passage at 11:45 AM;
H.M. Pulham, Esq. at 2:00 PM, which I think I haven't seen before;
Ayn Rand's bloated script against some really intriguing images form The Fountainhead, at 4:15 PM; and
Lightning Strikes Twice, another one I'm pretty certain I've never seen, at 6:15 PM.

No comments: