Thursday, April 1, 2021

Your friendly reminder

I probably should have posted last night, but today being April 1, it's the start of 31 Days of Oscar on TCM. Thanks to the government shutdowns of movie theaters, there wasn't exactly much released to the theaters in 2020, so I don't know how the Academy bent its rules to get a slate of nominees. In any case, they moved the awards ceremony from February back to April, which is why TCM also moved 31 Days of Oscar back to April.

This year, the theme is "Oscars A-z", which means that the films being presented (with, I'm assuming, the exception of the shorts, although with the new online schedule format omitting shorts I have no idea what shorts are showing) are done so in alphabetical order for the entire month, starting this morning at 6:00 AM with Adam's Rib.

This also means that the usual programming features, such as the Saturday matinee block or Noir Alley won't be coming up. There's also no Silent Sunday Nights or TCM Imports, although we do get the odd silent film and a couple of foreign films. Charlie Chaplin's The Circus airs on Sunday, while Au Revoir, les Enfants is on tomorrow morning at 10:00 AM.

For me, the things I want to make space on my DVR to record in this first weekend are the aforementioned The Circus, as well as Almost Famous tonight at 10:00 PM. I've already seen Agnes of God (noon today) and blogged about it, but for those who haven't it's absolutely worth a watch.

No comments: