Thursday, December 15, 2022

Thursday Movie Picks #440: Flowers in the Title

This being Thursday, it's time for another edition of Thursday Movie Picks, the blogathon run by Wandering Through the Shelves. This week's theme is "Movies with flowers in the title", which is another one that's fairly easy. I had several films in mind, and decided to search the blog to see whether I had used them before. This got rid of a couple of films, but I still had enough left to do a post this week:

The Blue Gardenia (1953). Surprisingly, a search of the blog claims I haven't even done a full-length post on this movie, let alone use it in the Thursday Movie Picks. Anne Baxter plays a woman who, jilted by her husband, goes on a date with another man (Raymond Burr). She gets so drunk that she doesn't remember much of that night other than trying to defend herself from Burr's sexual advances. The problem is, Burr's body is found the next morning, leading Baxter to think she might have killed him.

Lilies of the Field (1963). Another movie that I'm somewhat surprised not to have used in the blogathon before. Sidney Poitier plays a handyman traveling through Arizona on his way to California. There, he gets waylaid by a group of nuns (led by Lilia Skala) who are refugees from East Germany. They think they've found just the man to build them their new chapel out in this desert they've relocated to. Poitier is skeptical, but of course they've got God on their side.

The Name of the Rose (1986). Sean Connery plays a 14th century monk who arrives at an Italian monastery for a religious conference together with his novice (Christian Slater). They arrive to the news that there's been a mysterious death just before their arrival that may have been suicide, but then again it may have been murder. Connery investigates, even though there may be quite some danger to him.

2 comments:

Birgit said...

I need to seevyour first film...I don't remember even hearing about it but I must have. I reminded of the Jane Fonda flick, The Morning after. I love Lillies which is so warm hearted and Poitier won the Oscar for this role I chose Name of the Rose a few spits back but is a perfect choice and a good movie

ThePunkTheory said...

Blue Gardenia sounds super interesting - I need to watch that some time.