Sunday, October 8, 2023

Briefs for October 8, 2023 and beyond

I had a post written that I had planned to post earlier this week about some upcoming films on FXM that, somehow, never got scheduled. I was very disappointed in this in that one of the movies I was going to mention was Together Brothers, which I blogged about back in 2015 and which so far only seems to have that one airing that's passed. I'm assuming it will show up again, but with the FXM schedule, who knows?

In that post, I think I also mentioned Akira Kurosawa's Kagemusha which was apparently distributed by Fox on its original release. That one gets another airing on October 13, but I'm not going to be doing a post on it just yet. The reason is that this wee sees a bunch of other movies in quick succession that are going to be on one or another movie channel and that I had on my DVR. Some of them are coming close enough to each other that I couldn't really schedule all the movie posts to land far enough apart. As an example, The Hawaiians is coming up this week as part of the programming for Star of the Month Charlton Heston, but the post on it is going to be a good 36 hours before it airs.

Speaking of Kurosawa, two of his films are part of TCM Imports overnight tonight, although I don't think I've seen either of them so I can't comment that much on them. Now it's off to set my DVR to record them. There's also a Japanese silent, Kurutta Ippeiji, at midnight. (TCM's listings have that Japanese title; I'm guessing the last time it was on the listings or the title cards had a translated title which is why I used the title A Page of Madness.)

I also missed the 100th birthday of actress Glynis Johns this past Thursday. Surprisingly, I only found it out because I was looking at Wikipedia's list of "famous" living centenarians (at least, people famous enough to have a Wikipedia entry for something other than their longevity) on Thursday and noticed it listed Johns as 100 years and 0 days. Happy belated 100th birthday to Glynis!

And now to write and schedule a post on another of those movies that's airing on TCM later this week....

No comments: