According to Wikipedia and IMDb, yesterday, July 21, was the centenary of director Norman Jewison. However, Tuesday nights in July on TCM have been given over to American independent directors, I'm\ guessing because that and the "singers acting in movies" Star of the Month were both things TCM wanted to spend four nights on, and the calendar worked out such that Monday and Tuesday were the weeknights in July that had only four nights.
What that means is that TCM's centenary salute to Norman Jewison is being held tonight in prime time. Now, it looks as though TCM has run enough of Jewison's movies over the years that perhaps they could have done a 24-hour salute, but as it stands we get four of Jewison's movies in prime time:
8:00 PM The Thomas Crown Affair
10:00 PM In the Heat of the Night
Midnight A Soldier's Story
2:00 AM Fiddler on the Roof
The very end of the overnight is an episode of the MGM Parade, at 5:15 AM, which mean there will be filler before the start of tomorrow morning's schedule.
Now, I didn't notice it until I looked up Jewison's filmography, but he directed Only You, which ran I think on New Year's night. If I had known that was a Jewison movie, I would probably have watched it in conjunction with his centenary.

No comments:
Post a Comment