Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hurricane Irene

It's Thursday morning as I write this, but Hurricane Irene is barrelling down on the Northeast (or maybe that should be barrelling up the east coast), possibly hitting sometime on Sunday -- depending on exactly where it hits. I'm in the Catskill Mountains, a good 90 miles south and a bit west of New York City, but hurricanes are a big thing, and the forecasters still aren't quite certain about where this one is going to hit. The last one that came close to the Catskills was Tropical Storm Floyd back in 1999, and since I'm in a super-secret bunker in the part of the Catskills that's in the middle of nowhere (well, not quite, but I'm not in the middle of town either), I was left without electric for three days.

So I'm posting in advance: in case Irene does leave me without power, there will be a couple of blog posts still coming up while I'm off line. Also, it's a way of letting all of you know why there might be a lack of posts if the outage is prolonged. Perhaps I should post a photo of Irene Dunne, but I don't have many on my computer, and just did so two weeks ago in conjunction with The Awful Truth. Either that, or movies about hurricanes. One of these days, I'll have to get around to watching the mid-1930s movie The Hurricane. TCM has shown it a bunch of times, but somehow, I've always missed it. As long as I don't have a bunch of gangsters show up just before the storm like in Key Largo.

No comments: