Monday, August 8, 2011

Sylvia Sidney, 1910-1999


Sylvia Sidney, Desmond Tester, and Oskar Homolka in Sabotage (1936). Photo courtesy gonemovies.com

Today marks the birth anniversary of actress Sylvia Sidney, who started her movie career in the early 1930s with movies like City Streets and eventually went on to include several dozen guest roles on television series, almost up until her death in 1999. I was looking for a good photo of her from one of her better movies that doesn't get as much attention as it deserves, namely Alfred Hitchcock's Sabotage, which I blogged about back in 2009 on Oskar Homolka's birthday (the anniversary of that coming up this Friday). I found the photo above on the site gonemovies.com, which I hadn't come across before, and have only swiped the image to preserve bandwidth.

Sidney was quite good in Sabotage, and also in Fury, where she plays the love interest of Spencer Tracy (and for which I already had a photo). For some reason, I thought I had blogged about Dead End before, but blogger's search facilities aren't finding any such post. I suppose it's just as likely that I intended to blog about it at some point in the past, and never got around to it; I was going to do a post on They Made Me a Criminal for John Garfield's day in Summer Under the Stars last Friday, and never got around to that.

No comments: