Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I survived Hurricane Irene

So Hurricane Irene came through Saturday night and Sunday morning. The power went out around 10:45 AM Sunday, but thankfully, I've got a generator to run the essentials, like the fridge to keep food fresh, the sump pump for the basement, and a few lights. I wasn't going to be able to watch the Carole Lombard movies, but that was the least of my worries.

It took a good 46 hours, but the power finally came back on. I'm one of the lucky ones, though, since some people are going to be waiting several more days to get their power back. That, and I didn't suffer very much damage. There were a lot of branches down, especially the smaller oak tree branches that are maybe the width of an index finger, but have a lot of stuff branching out from them such that while they're thin, they're also about as long as an arm. Unsurprisingly, a lot of already dead trees also fell over finally. The thing that surprised me is that there were rather few mature trees either knocked over at the trunk or uprooted entirely. Not too far from me, though, there was a lot more damage. Places like Windham in Greene County, and Schoharie County to the west, were hit particularly hard. And then there are the isolated towns in Vermont.

No comments: